Friday 14 November 2014

Life on the edge

I am a water baby. Born under the sign of the crab on the west coast of Vancouver Island, salt water courses through my blood. Rain, salt air and fog are essential life forces. Isolation and standing on the edge of the known bring me comfort.



I am here, next human is here-ish. Perfect. I like my personal space.
View Larger Map


For university, I chose to bust out on my own by moving to Montreal. Rain became snow, salt air was only constructed through the over zealous snow removal and fog was either really steam or self induced through hangover. Isolation was cultural and anonymity, and the were no edges. Montreal is the middle. But I still found the sea. Most people studied at home or the library (or didn't study), but I found my haven at the Biodome. Sure, my intertidal zone was a little too sterile, but it was one of the few places I could ground myself.

During the summers I went back to Ucluelet, back to the edge, to stare off the side of the continent. The summers recharged me, and the lack of anonymity often left me eager to escape to my cultural isolation.

Halifax is a nice balance. There's enough of a population base that you can remain somewhat anonymous, but it is situated on the edge. This past weekend, I craved that edge. Jeff, Finnegan and I went for a walk to stare off the side of the continent. I feel recharged.


We are here, next human is here-ish.  Perfect. We need out personal space.
View Larger Map
And over there is Muxia.  It's a long swim.



The sea at our feet and the sun on our faces.  Batteries are recharging.


1 comment:

  1. I think that is why I enjoy visiting - it has what I need as well. Koh Lanta - although an island - is not on the edge. But the call to the beach is strong!

    ReplyDelete